By Chris Aldridge, Kentucky Proud Connection
Eight Kentucky Proud hors d'oeuvres were served in the kitchen of the new Capitol Education Center during a reception that followed the grand opening Feb. 8.
Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Comer thanked Gov. Steve Beshear and First Lady Jane Beshear for their commitment to using food from Kentucky producers, both at the center and at the governor's mansion.
All of the hors d'ouvres were made using Kentucky Proud ingredients. They included:
- Black bean, corn and pepper jack quiche: eggs from Rooster Ridge Farm in Franklin County, flour from Weisenberger Mill in Woodford County, heavy cream and cheese from Bluegrass Dairy & Food in Glasgow, True Kentucky Black Bean and Corn Salsa from Bardstown;
- Candied bacon: Penn's Bacon from Mannsville and honey from Lee's Bees in Franklin County;
- Caramel apple tart: apples from Habegger Mennonite Farm in Allen County, Bluegrass Dairy & Food butter, Rooster Ridge Farm eggs, and Weisenberger Mill flour;
- Chocolate chip bourbon square: Ruth Hunt Candies' Jamieson chocolate from Mount Sterling, Jim Beam bourbon from Frankfort, eggs from Rooster Ridge Farm, butter from Bluegrass Dairy & Food, and Weisenberger Mill flour;
- Cornmeal shortbread: Rooster Ridge Farm eggs, Bluegrass Dairy & Food butter, and Weisenberger Mill flour;
- Country ham salad on biscuits: Broadbent Country Ham from Kuttawa; Spring Valley Farms Red Pepper Relish from Holland, Ky.; Kenny's Banana Pepper Mustard from Bardstown; Bluegrass Dairy & Food butter; and Weisenberger Mill flour;
- Curried chicken and bourbon peach chutney in fillo cups: chicken from Marksbury Farm in Jessamine County and Pop's Pepper Patch Bourbon Peach Chutney from Louisville;
- Goat cheese and pepper jelly crostini: Capriole Goat Cheese from Louisville and Spring Valley Farms Pepper Jelly
The Capitol Education Center is a new “green” learning facility for students and visitors at the Capitol Campus in Frankfort, according to the governor's office. The building once served as a heating and cooling facility.